Product Info & Specs
Hurricane Butterfly Special Import Project HB-HK416 Semi-Auto Pistol 5.56x45mm, 10.4″ Barrel
Hurricane Butterfly is proud to import and introduce to the US commercial market the legendary HK416 in an extremely limited semi-auto pistol configuration. The iconic HK416 in this configuration is imported by Hurricane Butterfly with ATF approval, there are NO civilian restrictions on possession or ownership (standard and prevailing Federal, state and local law and regulation apply regarding “handgun classified” possession and ownership). These are truly one of a kind and exclusive to Hurricane Butterfly, please see our HK416 Semi-Auto FAQ Sheet for more info.
The HB imported HK416 semi-auto pistol meets the requirements of “18 USC 925(d)(3)” for “sporting purposes” following submission to ATF for import review. An approved ATF form 6 permitted this particular configuration to be sold freely to civilian consumers. Please see the official ATF FTB Response – Redacted for the complete ATF firearm classification and identification.
Heckler and Koch is internationally renowned for their acclaimed and combat-proven weapon systems that are recognized and utilized by worldwide military, law enforcement, security forces, and enthusiasts. Rising from the ashes of World War II, Heckler and Koch has a well-earned reputation of being the world’s premiere small arms company with their innovative designs, highly sought after weapon systems, and precision manufacturing. HK’s product line spans the spectrum from handguns to belt-felt machine guns to automatic grenade launchers furnishing arms rooms of enthusiasts, law enforcement, military to the world’s elite special units, alike.
The HK416 was developed by Hecker & Koch for US special operations forces as a major product improvement of the M4 / M16-type carbines and rifles, it is the world’s leading AR-based short-stroke piston driven weapon system. Using the HK-proprietary gas piston system found on the G36, the HK416 does not introduce propellant gases and carbon fouling back into the weapon’s interior making it the most reliable of any AR / M4 /M16 variant type weapon. The origin of HK416 was derived from extensive high-speed, live-fire testing results in extreme operational environments. The realized deficiencies of the direct gas impingement (gas tube) operating system found on conventional AR / M4 /M16 variant platforms revealed multiple areas for weapon improvement. Until now, the HK416 has been strictly limited to military and law enforcement import, possession, and use. While a small quantity of semi-automatic HK416 rifles were imported into the U.S. for law enforcement use, nearly all of the previously imported HK416s are restricted to LE use only.
The Hurricane Butterfly imported HK416 semi-auto pistol is fully legal for civilian possession. These pistols are extraordinarily rare and extremely limited, exclusive only to Hurricane Butterfly. These are not HK416 clones. These are not “parts kit” guns. These were complete guns made by HK Germany, less barrels and bolts due to European laws. We sourced HK 416 bolts, and made barrels to the same specification as the HK-made barrels. These were not assembled from a parts kit.
These are complete, assembled pistols with components sourced from Heckler and Koch suppliers throughout Europe and the United States. The aluminum HK416C receivers are alleged contract overruns manufactured by HK Germany for a European law enforcement contract requiring a semi-auto configuration. The Bolts are genuine HK but due to the relative scarcity of HK416 bolts, a mixture of new and used bolts were used in assembly. All units are tested for head space and test fired before sale and shipment.
For further information, please see our FAQ: HK416 Semi-automatic Pistol Import
Third Receiver Holes: In a PDW configuration, the brackets / eyelets that capture and stabilize the stock rods (when collapsed) are inserted and fulfill the forward holes above the hammer pin on the receiver. pictured in this Gun Broker auction, the holes on the receiver are plugged with 3-D printed inserts (included). Inserts will require a more permanent attachment prior to firing. As these receivers are 416C’s, use of a buffer retaining pin isn’t necessary and therefore this receiver does not have a buffer retaining hole. This does not affect function with a standard (non PDW) type stock assembly.
HK416 Semi-Auto Pistol Features:
- HK-proprietary short-stroke piston operating system for exceptional reliability, operation, and service life
- HK416 (AR pattern) lower receiver accepts a variety of (non-HK) pistol grips and stock options
- “OTB” (over-the-beach) capability is assured by the use of a bolt that fully supports the cartridge case
- HK-designed 9″ FFRS (free-floating system) features 4-quadrant full-length MIL-STD1913 Picatinny rails for optimum accessory utilization such as aiming devices, illumination devices and grips as well as an AG416 40mm grenade launcher.
- HK FFRS (free floating rail system) can be installed and removed without tools by the operator and returns to zero when reinstalled
- Heavy duty, ergonomic charging handle suited for use with mounted optics
- Compatible with most standard AR-type magazines including USGI mags
- Beveled magazine well for quicker magazine changes
- Two-position safety selector with HK pictograph firing mode markings on both sides of the receiver
- Barrel is manufactured from Lothar Walther blanks to HK416 specs and dimensions
- The 10.4″ barrel is manufactured from the highest quality steel
- HK vented gas block with ambidextrous sling loop attachment points and bayonet lug
- Locking interface for 40 mm grenade launcher
- A2-Style flash hider
- HK V7 pistol grip provides outstanding ergonomics and proper point and shoot grip stance featuring contoured back strap with internal storage compartment for field stripping tool (tool not included)
- Equipped an ATF compliant pistol buffer tube with foam cheek pad for added comfort – buffer weight and spring match factory HK dimension, specs, and spring rate
HK416 Semi-Auto Pistol Specs:
|Model||HK416 10.4” 5.56 x 45 mm Semi-Auto Pistol|
|Caliber||5.56 x 45 mm|
|Operating Principle||Lock Breech gas-operated short-stroke piston system|
|Barrel Profile / Twist||.750” Diameter, 1:7 RH|
|Muzzle Device||A2 Style Flash Hider – 1/2 x 28 TPI|
|Receiver Type||AR-15 Pattern, Aluminum|
|Magazine Compatibility||Most standard, AR-type mags|
|Lower Parts Kit||Standard HK416 LPK|
|Safety||Two-position, thumb safety lever|
|Stock||AR Pistol Buffer Tube Kit with Foam Cheek Rest|
|Pistol Grip||HK V7 Ergonomic Pistol Grip with Storage Compartment|
|Handguard||HK Free floating rail system 4-quadrant 9” rails|
|Sling Mount||Ambidextrous Sling Loop Attachment Points on Gas Block|
|Gas Block||Vented genuine HK with bayonet lug|
|Overall Length with||24.5/8” (without flash hider) 26” (with Flash hider installed)|
|ATF Firearm Classification||“Handgun” (Pistol)|
|Receiver Markings, Location and Details|
Left Side Magazine Well
Cal. 5.56 mm x 45
|Left Side Middle||Serial Number with 88- prefix|
|Right Side Magazine Well||Heckler & Koch GmbH
Made in Germany
|Bottom of Frame Above Trigger||HBI Tukwila, WA|
|Left and Right-Side Receiver Markings||HK pictograph firing mode markings on both sides of the receiver:
Safe – White
Semi-Auto Fire – Red
|Upper Receiver: Left Side Near Barrel Extension||Left Side “HK” logo, “C.I.P.” proof, “AF” date code, “Stag Antler” proof mark|
Gun Talk LIVE: SHOT Show 2019 with Jason from Hurricane Butterfly about our 416 Special import project